To All Parents (Divorced or Not)…
Avoid fighting in front of your children. They are neither there to act as referees nor to pick sides, therefore…
1) Aim to handle any disagreements while children are NOT present.
2) Have a plan on how to handle disagreements so that the children still feel safe.
3) Rehearse the plan when the children are present and are not present.
4) Reassure your child that it is not her/his fault that mom and dad are arguing.
5) Be sensitive to the fact that your fighting is harming your child(ren). Avoid blaming and, instead, do your best to resolve with kindness and respect.