Warning Signs of a Victim
- Lives with constant fear/terror of partner
- Low self-esteem
- Emotional and/or economic dependency on abuser
- Continued faith/hope that abuser “will change” or “grow up”
- Stress disorders
- Accepting of blame and guilt for violence
- Socially isolated but always seems to be with her/his abuser
- Believes in stereotypical sex roles
- Contemplates/attempts suicide or self-harms
- Appears nervous or anxious
- Defends her/his abuser; Minimizing harassment or injuries
- May have tried to leave relationship
- Shows physical signs of abuse and/or hides them
- Seems withdrawn
- Sensitivity about home life or hints of trouble at home
- Isolation, unusual quietness, or keeping away from others
- Has been in abusive relationships before
If you or a family member is in an abusive relationship, whether physically, sexually, or verbally, whether male or female, please know that it is not your fault, you are not alone, and things will get better.
We are strong believers in therapy and it does not have to cost a lot of money. Any therapy is better than no therapy. CBHCare has locations in Hackensack-Lyndhurst-Westwood. We want you to be aware that they will conduct an extensive intake session to gather as much information as possible. Then, therapy begins. Also, local religious establishments may have access to free therapy such as churches, temples, and centers. If you are a student, take advantage of the psychological services at your college/university. Therapy will not fix your problems right away. This will take time…but it will definitely make you feel a little less heavier every time you go to therapy and this is VERY important. NEVER Stop Going To Therapy; individual or group.
Recommendation: Tell your workplace, your kids’ school, and your place of residence that you would like us to come in to conduct our Osso Safe Seminar/Workshop. This will help you the most because that way the responsibility of the solution does not have to fall all on you, the victim. Let your workplace, school, and landlord assist you by hiring us so that you don’t have to keep this terror that you are going through, a secret.